A report title page is the front page of the document, which indicates what the report is about. A reader is able to perceive the content before even looking at the whole document. It usually includes the report’s Title, the writer’s Name, and Date; sometimes a specific project or serial number. The purpose of a title page is to provide general information of what is covered in the report.
- The first letter of each word in the title is usually capitalized
- Font styles used should be less and clear
- It should not be confusing or distracting
- It should make a good and strong visual impression with better alignment and margins
A cover page might consist of an image along with the title. It provides a quick understanding of what the document is about, at a glance. In professional and academic areas, projects require the creation of cover pages, as it is the first thing the reader sees. The cover page should be made professionally. The elements covered depend on the type of the document. Cover pages can be of the following forms
Academic Cover Pages
For academic purposes, there are specific rules for creating the cover page and document content, that must be followed. The document must be presented in a proper format. The three most common formatting styles are
- APA (American Psychological Association): This format is usually used in the Social Sciences field. It includes a Running Head, Title, Name of the Author, Name of the Institution and other required notes. Font size 12 is usually recommended.
- MLA (Modern Language Association): This format is used in Arts and Humanities. This usually consists of a standalone title page.
- CMS (Chicago Manual of Style): This format is used in citations and publications of topics such as Literature, History, and Arts.
Business Cover Pages
A business cover page depends on the nature of the company and the type of document being prepared. Certain businesses call for formal cover pages while others may find creative and colorful ones appropriate for the subject matter.See the examples
Book Cover Pages
When making a cover page for a book, magazine or an e-book, the design of the cover page is very essential. It should be appealing to the reader just grabs the book and looks inside. If the books or magazines are being bought online, the cover page is the only thing that is available to them and that has to be attractive enough to grab the attention of the viewer. The title should be large enough to be read even form a thumbnail; also the graphic images should be viewable.See the examples
See the examples
Importance of Title Pages
It is the first thing a person looks at and makes the first impression of the report. If the whole report is written beautifully but the title page is messy or incomplete, it will give the wrong impression of the report.
Report title page templates are available here on our website. If you have prepared the report that you were working for many days and are looking for a suitable cover page then you are at the right place. Browse hundreds of cover page designs on our website and download the one that suits your requirement.
All the templates generally include the following:
- Document Title on the top with bold letters
- Author’s Name
- Author’s Title
- Document description in a few lines